Water/Wastewater Maintenance Tech or Operator – Carter Lake/Crescent, IA
Looking for a long-term career? We have the perfect opportunity in our Carter Lake/Crescent, Iowa locations where you will gain valuable hands-on experience about water and wastewater treatment. Plus, we will help you become certified or increase your certification!
Water is a vital resource for consumers and the environment, so we need to take care of this resource today and forever – and PeopleService is a key player in protecting this resource.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong mechanical aptitude to monitor equipment and gauges, and know when equipment needs repaired or maintained, such as pumps, etc.
- Computer knowledge required with experience in Microsoft Products a plus.
- Exceptional analytical and math skills to perform calculations using formulas.
- Valid driver’s license with clean record.
- Possession of Iowa Grade I water/wastewater/distribution certification(s) will be given top priority.
- Dedicated to pursuing appropriate certifications within identified time frames.
- Demonstrate initiative, know what tasks need to be completed without a lot of direction.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written. Need to feel comfortable conversing knowing when to use tact and diplomacy. Committed to providing excellent customer service.
- Required to work weekends, holiday and on-call based on a rotating schedule; therefore, must have the ability to respond to after-hour emergency call-outs.
- Reading of utility water meters, which includes but not limited to: reading of water consumption meters and entering data in route books or hand-held devices; verifying abnormal consumption reads; inspecting meters for connections, defects and damage; coordinating times with homeowners to repair or read water meters that cannot be accessed from outside; turn off and turn on of water meters for non-payment and/or vacant/new owner situations; work closely with the Utility Billing Department to ensure reads are accurate and timely; obtaining flow reads; and completing work orders within a reasonable time frame.
- Inspect equipment on a regular basis to ensure they are operating at their optimum level, which includes but not limited to: maintaining or repairing pumps, blowers, etc. as per manufacturer specifications and company policy.
- Collect and test water and sewage samples, which includes but not limited to: correctly interpreting the data collected and making the required adjustments to stay in compliance with federal and state regulations; and correctly calibrating testing equipment.
- Record meter and gauge readings and operational data accurately to facilitate the proper submission of regulatory required data/forms and must be able to interpret the readings to know when to make adjustments to chemical addition and/or adjust various gauges.
- Follow all EPA regulations, as well as state regulations and company policies/procedures.
- Ensure you are operating in a safe manner and aware of all safety hazards and proper protective equipment needed for a particular task.
This position will primarily work in the Carter Lake/Crescent area but will also assist in Missouri Valley, Mondamin and surrounding areas as needed and during emergency situations. All interviewed applicants will complete a basic math and writing test.