We have two available positions working in the water/wastewater treatment and distribution/collection systems for our Onawa contract. Excellent opportunity to obtain on-the-job training and start a career in a field that is both rewarding and challenging. Plus you will be helping the environment!
What does a water/wastewater operator/technician do? Most people don’t know this but it take a lot of work to get water from natural resources – reservoirs, streams and groundwater – into home’s taps. And it is an equally complicated process to convert the wastewater from drains and sewers into a form that is safe to release into the environment. That’s what they do in a nutshell.
How do they do this? They manage the systems and treatment process often through machinery utilizing control boards to transfer or treat water and wastewater by adding chemicals to disinfect water. They collect and test water and sewage samples using formula-based equations, analyze lab results and add various chemicals, clean and maintain expensive equipment such as tanks, filters, blowers, pumps, etc.
What will you gain from this job? A long-term career with a growing company through on-the-job training and we will assist you in becoming certified with the State of Iowa. We offer a competitive compensation package with benefits starting on date of hire – health, matching 401(k), company-paid life and disability benefits, company vehicle, cell phone, uniform allowance, and much, much more.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong mechanical skills to repair related equipment.
- Less than 1-year experience in a related field (laying of pipe, plumbing, working on farm- and industrial-related equipment.
- Able to operate computer and related software, such as Microsoft Office.
- Required to live within a 10-30-minute response time of Onawa.
- Required to work weekends and on-call based on a rotating schedule; therefore, must be able to respond to after-hour emergencies.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with clean record.
- Must have excellent customer service skills to communicate, orally and in written form, from consumers to regulatory agency staff; therefore, must be able to handle situations using tact and diplomacy.