Entry-level Water/Wastewater Operator – Onawa, Iowa
Accepting applications for our Onawa, Iowa location working in the water and wastewater treatment facilities as well as the collections and distribution systems.
Duties May Include:
- Adding chemicals to water/wastewater and other liquids.
- Operate devices that feed and/or adjust chemicals into water/wastewater.
- Read, interpret and adjust meters and gauges to ensure plant equipment is operating properly.
- Take samples of water/wastewater and perform lab analyses.
- Use a variety of instruments to sample and measure water/wastewater quality.
- Maintain accurate records of operational data, and meter and gauge readings.
- Make minor repairs to valves, pumps, and other equipment, using hand and power tools.
- Clean tanks and filter beds, using hand and power tools.
- Control processing equipment in water/wastewater treatment plants.
- Use computers to monitor equipment, store data, make processing decisions and write reports.
- May work under emergency conditions, using specific safety equipment and procedures.
- Stay informed of federal regulations and how they affect the plants.
Typical Work Setting:
- High level of job-required social contact.
- Responsible for the health and safety of the public.
- Work in a team environment.
- Occasionally placed in conflict situations, in which others may be rude or unpleasant.
- Work both indoors and outdoors, may work in buildings that do not have air conditioning or heat.
- Wear protective or safety attire; exposed to contaminants, such as gases.
- Exposed to hazardous equipment or conditions, such as malfunctioning equipment or slippery walkways; exposed to equipment noise and odors that are distracting and uncomfortable.
- Must be sure to work is exact. Errors or oversight could seriously endanger the environment or the public’s health.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- HS diploma or equivalent.
- Strong mechanical skills to repair related equipment, such as pumps and blowers.
- Less than 1 year experience in a related field (laying of pipe, plumbing, working on farm-related or industrial equipment).
- Ability to work independently utilizing excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize the workload.
- Communicate both orally and written in a well-organized, courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to operate computer and related software; i.e., Outlook, Excel, Word.
- Required to live within a 10-30 minute response time of Onawa.
- Required to work weekends and on-call based on a rotating schedule; therefore, must have the ability to respond to after-hour emergencies.
- Valid driver’s license with clean record (no DUI’s/suspensions for the past 5 years or excess tickets for the past 3 years).
- Interviewed candidates will complete a basic math and writing skills test.
Head to the top of this page and select “Work For Us” then select “Apply” which will take you to an on-line application process.